Labour Market Information is vital in providing young people and their parents with information about career routes and salaries.
It helps young people explore key aspects about a particular area, including:
- The sectors, industries and businesses that operate there
- The jobs that exist
- The number and type of job vacancies
- The sectors and industries that are predicted to grow in the coming years.
- Travel to work patterns
- The kinds of skills that are/will be needed by industries and businesses.
- Pay and progression patterns
Young people thinking about future careers want to understand:
- The competition they will face – ‘How easy is it to get into?’
- Entry and progression routes – ‘How do I get into it?’
- The rewards available – ‘What’s the pay like?
- The availability of jobs in their ‘travel to work area’ – ‘Can I travel to this work easily?’
- Recruitment and selection and the prospects of securing employment in a particular job – ‘Could I get into this type of work?’
- The value of particular qualifications, experience or training – ‘Do employers accept this qualification?’