Teachers of Maths
- Mr A Alvarez-Gomez
- Mrs T Booth (Curriculum Leader)
- Mrs M Correia
- Miss M Daniels
- Miss E Dolan
- Miss A Dwyer
- Miss L C Hort
- Mrs V Lally
- Miss S Lovett
- Mrs J E McNeil
- Mr S Petri
- Mr S Rowan
- Miss R Shepherd
- Miss K Stansfield
- Miss I Turner
Our Vision for Maths
Students at SJB study Maths to:
- Develop their passion for problem-solving and nurture a love and enjoyment of the subject. From types of triangles to advanced trigonometry, Maths is fun and inclusive for all.
- Equip them to be numerically literate for an ever-changing world where Maths underpins world systems through a universal language.
- Learn important skills, such as critical and logical thinking, that are crucial and applicable to all areas of life. Whether our students go on to be a stage designer or an astronaut; the skills that students develop through studying Maths will equip them for wider society.
Possible degree courses using this subject could include:
- Business Studies
- Computing and Engineering
- Mathematics (obviously!)
Outline of Course
Exam Board: Edexcel
- 3 x 2 hr exam papers sat in the summer of Year 13
- All calculator papers
- 2/3of the assessment is Pure
- 1/3of the assessment is Applied: Statistics and Mechanics
Link to specification: Pearson Edexcel AS and A level Mathematics (2017) | Pearson qualifications
Pure mathematics, worth ⅔ of the A Level, comprises of:
- algebra (functions, logarithms and calculus),
- geometry (trigonometric identities and equations) and
- modelling (the application of pure mathematics in real world contexts).
Applied mathematics, worth ⅓ of the A Level, comprises of:
- Statistics (data collection and analysis, statistical distributions including probability and hypothesis testing) and
- Mechanics (the study of motion and equilibrium, including forces and moments).