SJB is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This means that we have policies and procedures in place which are given to all staff and volunteers. Online training is mandatory once every year – you will be sent a link and will be required to complete an online training course of around 1hr30mins at some point in the Autumn term. There will also be an hour of safeguarding training on the INSET day in September.
You are required to read the following two documents and will be asked to sign to acknowledge that you have in September.
Keeping children safe in education Sept 2023 – Part 1 only
If you have any concerns that a student is being abused or at risk of being abused (whether the child says anything or not) please report your concerns immediately to one of the safeguarding team:
- Mike McKenna – Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL)
- Damien Kelly – Deputy DSL
- Mandy Hughes– Deputy DSL
- Lisa Kenny – Deputy DSL
- Lee Evans – Deputy DSL
- Caroline McLaughlin – Deputy DSL
- Simon Petri – Deputy DSL
You must report a concern using our ‘Safeguarding Reporting System’ on CPOMS (all members of staff will receive login details).
If you have any concerns about the behaviour of any member of staff, you must report your concerns immediately to The Headteacher. If the Headteacher is unavailable, please speak to the named Designated Safeguarding Lead. The SLT member responsible for Safeguarding is Mike McKenna.
At all times remember confidentiality: you are not allowed to promise confidentiality to any student – you have to pass information on. However, we always respect people’s lives and information, therefore we only share with those who need to know.
Please do not allow students as ‘friends’ on social networking sites such as Facebook and Instagram. Please be aware of any comments or images you post on such sites and set your privacy settings accordingly. We strongly advise you don’t use personal mobile phones to call or text students or parents, if you do need to, then please ensure that your caller ID is switched off. School mobiles are available to borrow for school trips. Please book these with the Finance Office.
It is important that we work together to protect the data of our students and the staff here at SJB. The GDPR regulations state that we must protect personal data – there’s lots of aspects to these new regulations but we think it is 99% common sense! We must hold and process data on both staff and students; we take our responsibilities of keeping it secure seriously. We align with the Xavier Data Protection and Retention Policies which can be found here:https://xaviercet.org.uk/about/central-policies-and-financial-statements/.The last thing we want to do is create any unnecessary burden on staff – here is what you must do:
- Software/online resources requiring student logins must go through Mark Kenrick to ensure GDPR compliance and be registered (so that old data can be purged when necessary)
- Make sure any paper containing personal data is shredded – take it to the office!
- Don’t download any personal data onto a memory stick / hard drive, use the cloud storage facilities of OneDrive instead.
- Student photos – don’t take photos on personal mobile phones; don’t post photos alongside names online, keep them anonymous.
- Be sensible about any data you collect and use – only collect what you need, make sure you keep it safe and don’t pass it on to anyone else unless you have permission.
- Ensure the security of all data that may be taken away from the school site. This includes electronic and paper documents. Do not save any data onto home computers.
- Do not share system logins or email logins.
- Do not share any documents which hold data with any partners/agencies without discussing it with the SLT.
The school Data Protection Officer is Anna Dwyer, you must inform her of any breach or potential breach of data as soon as it is discovered so that the proper processes can be followed.
For further information on the way we use your data, please see the Xavier Catholic Education Trust Privacy Notice.