Our Catholic ethos requires and inspires us to seek to develop our young people to be of service to God, one another and wider society. To achieve this requires:
- A curriculum that stretches, challenges and inspires.
- A wider curriculum that does not simply focus on academia but stretches beyond the confines of the traditional classroom.
- Core values that seek to promote dignity and justice for each individual and inspires each student to embody the Gospel values.
We want our students to…
- Deepen their relationship with God
- Love learning
- Achieve their academic potential
- Have a wide range of experiences both in and out of the classroom
- Grow into happy, confident, resilient and articulate young people
- Leave SJB equipped to lead fulfilling lives and make a positive contribution to society
Who we are
These are the 5 core values we seek to instil in all our students. They are:
- Aspire (Aspiration)
You can find out more about each of them here.
What we learn
- Is underpinned by our motto “Have Faith…Believe you can!” and supports the students in growing their faith: in God; in themselves; and in each other.
- Raises students’ aspirations, challenges and equips them with the knowledge and skills to flourish in their future careers.
- Is inclusive, well designed and coherently sequenced in order to establish a strong foundation for all students.
- Is rich, inspiring and as broad as possible.
- Provides students with opportunities to take the curriculum beyond the classroom to develop independence, creativity and a love of learning.
- Offers a wide range of opportunities for students to take ownership of and personalise their curriculum in order to develop existing talents and interests as well as discover new ones.
- Fosters the development of character, communication skills, health and wellbeing in order to thrive beyond SJB.
Delivery of our curriculum:
- Embraces the concepts of ‘teaching for mastery’ and ‘quality first teaching’.
- Focuses on building both knowledge and skills over time.
- Engenders high expectations of all students.
- Strives to build students’ resilience, confidence and self-belief.
- Is delivered by subject experts and underpinned by evidence-based practice.
- Actively encourages making mistakes as part of learning.
- Uses assessment to help students embed and use knowledge fluently, check understanding and inform teaching.
- Ensures feedback is regular and concise so that students know their strengths, next steps and are given opportunities to address them.
- Utilises the latest technology to support learning and ensure all students develop their digital literacy.
- Develops students’ literacy skills.
What we can do
These are 7 learning behaviours that we actively seek to develop and reward in all our students – the Student SJB 7.
- Challenge yourself, don’t give up
- Positive attitude
- Curious & creative
- Think for yourself, be independent
- Participate fully
- Collaborate with others
- Try your best to improve